Lighted boat parades combine nautical and maritime with Griswald like holiday cheer. The hours and number of lights used to create these displays is amazing.
Baltimore Parade of lighted boats is put on Fells Point Yacht Club and supports Toys for Tots. The best viewing area is the fells point pier and near the pier 6 area. Baltimore's is much more spread out then Annapolis.
Annapolis( well the Maritime Republic of Eastport) puts on their lighted boat on December 14. Eastport Yacht Club sponsors in Annapolis. The best viewing spot is at Pussers and the hotel right behind Pussers however the whole of ego alley is usually packed with people. People will line the bridge and boats will go on both sides of the bridge in about 30 minute groups.
How to watch a parade of lighted boats
1. Dress warmly for the weather. Layers and hats and gloves are key
2. Bring hot chocolate ( spiked if adults is a delicious option) but hot beverages make this much more fun
3. Bring candy canes for some reason this adds to the fun and they take a while to eat so plenty of time to eat a candy cane while watching
4. Bring friends and family. This is a great outing for the whole family or a group of friends more people exclaiming over angelic sailboats and trans out of sailboats and how in the world did they get that tug to look like a crab is much more fun.
5. For Annapolis get there early as parking and finding a spot can take longer then you expect. Baltimore the parade is much more spread out so this is not an issue.
6. Bring your Camera!! you want to snap some pictures.
7.Have a pandora Christmas mix on your phone or some other way of playing a little Christmas music because you will have times where you feel like caroling or at least listening to Bong Crosby sing.
8. Make sure kids and clumsy adults stay back from waters edge you do not want anyone going in the water in December.
9. Merry Christmas