Tuesday, August 13, 2013
Concord Grape Jelly
I had 1.8 lbs of grapes.
1.8lbs concord grapes
1.8 cups sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon
Cover Jars with 2 inches of water and boil 10 minutes to sterilize.
Put a plate or two in freezer to test jam later
1. Remove the skins for the grapes .
2. combine the skins and 1 cup sugar together in a blender or food processor till skins pureed
3. Over medium heat combine grape insides, remaining 0.8 cup sugar, juice of 1/2 lemon, and skin sugar mix. Simmer until grapes are broken down about 15 minutes
4.Strain through a fine mesh sieve or food mill
5. Return jam to pan to simmer 15 minutes
6.Start testing by putting a dollop on the cold plate and then see if it runs.When not running jam is done may take up to anther 25 minutes of simmering
7. Pour Jam into jars and place lids on finger tip tight
8. Place under water and boil 10 minutes remove from water and allow to cool