Monday, March 18, 2013

Chocolate Nutella Scones and a Cuisinart Food Processor for my birthday

My parents are wonderful, for my birthday they got me something I have wanted for a long time. They gave me a Cuisinart Food Processor. Ok I know it is a little bit of overkill for a single woman but I do cook a lot ( see this blog) and I am the type to actually use it. Not only that but I meant to make Irish Soda Bread yesterday for St. Patrick but life got in the way. So I had  a bunch of buttermilk in the house, thus scones. Scones are one of the wonderful treats of life. Not feeling like plain scones I amped these ones up with chocolate and nutella. Mmmm nutella seriously that stuff is addictive.

1.Oven was preheated to 400 degree. 
2.In the food processor with the dough blade went 3 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon baking powder,1 tablespoon coco power, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. I then pulsed it a few times. 
3.Then added 1 cup chocolate chips and a stick and a half butter cut into pieces. Pulsed until the butter was combined and at the course meal stage. 
4.Then added 4 tablespoons nutella and then started pulsing slowly adding in 1 cup buttermilk.
5. I then put all of the dough onto a silpat lined ( you could use parchment paper) cookie sheet and then spread it out until about 3/4 inch- 1 inch thick rectangle. ( some people prefer scones in rounds in which case make 2 rounds)
Raw dough spread out on silpat( ignore the fact that is an old stained silpat)

6. Bake at 400 degree for 20-25 minutes till firm in center.

7 Immediately upon removing from oven cut into portions using your bench scrapper or a chefs knife. 

8. While they cool it is now time to make the glaze. Also in food processor with the dough attachment put 2/3 cup powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon nutella. Combine together takes about 1 min continuously on.

9. Add 2 oz frangelico hazelnut liquor and then mix again to combine. I stopped mid way to get the powdered sugar in the corner with the scrapper. Combine until very smooth and no powdered sugar lumps. Using a pastry brush ( I highly prefer the silicone type) brush the glaze onto the scones. 

10. Once glaze has dried they are ready eat. You could pretend to be healthy with these and serve with banana slices or just indulge and serve with nothing but a cup of coffee.
Delicious Chocolate Nutella Scones



No comments:

Post a Comment