Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lemon Cake and the Single Birthday Gal

It's my birthday and I'll have cake if I want to cake if I want to, you would have cake too if it happened to you. Today is my birthday and a Tuesday. A Tuesday is not a night that is all about going out and whopping it up. I went out with friends on Friday and with my sister on Saturday so my birthday is really already celebrated but hey I really felt like cake on my birthday. The thing about being single however is that nobody was going to bring me cake or make me a cake. Nor should I really consume a whole cake all by myself. Instead the mini lemon layer cake.

Ingredients for cake
1/3rd cup milk
Zest of two lemons
2/3 cup flour
2/3 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
juice of 1 lemon
Pam for baking

How to make cake
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray 2-3 flat ramekins (mine are green but same size and brand) with Pam for baking
2.Zest the two lemons into the milk and let sit.This will infuse the milk with yummy lemon flavor.
3.In your mixer of food processor cream together butter and sugar
4. Add in the egg and then breifly mix again
5. Mix together the dry ingredients and add half to the food processor or mixer.
6. Add half the milk then the other half the dry ingredients and mix again
7. Then add the other half the milk mix and then add the lemon juice and mix again.
8.When everything fully combined divide between either 2 or 3 flat ramekins depending on number of layers wanted. Two layers will be very full but 3 layers is a different frosting ratio. If I had to do this again I would have used 3 ramekins but I used two today.
Ramekins (Zested lemon shown for scale)

9. Bake 20 minutes at 350 till dry in center
10. Invert onto cooling rack.

Ingredients for Frosting
1 stick softened butter
juice of 1 lemon
2 cups powdered sugar
pinch salt

How to make frosting
1. Cream butter
2. Add in lemon juice and then keep mixing adding in a pinch of salt
3 While mixing slowly add in powdered sugar and keep mixing until very creamy
4. Frost cake layers with frosting and then since it is on hand add a little bit of yellow disco dust, silver sanding sugar, and a yellow candy star. Serve the entire cake on a salad dish.
Happy Birthday to Me!



No comments:

Post a Comment