Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Grilled Sesame Brussel Sprouts

This is almost too easy a recipe but I have now been asked for this recipe by two different friends both of whom rarely like vegetables and so that they are asking for brussel sprouts is amazing. One is a DC horse cop who swears that really anything beyond meat and starch has no place.I swear I do not get his aversion to green stuff and sweet stuff. The other one is a sailing buddy who came over for Easter and tried to convince my nephew that these were even tastier then jelly beans. To quote my three year old nephew "I like them I love jelly beans" Ok so well to a three year old they are tasty but not as tasty as jelly beans but hey what preparation of brussel sprouts would be as tasty as jelly beans to a three year old. He did pretty much eat brussel sprouts, jelly beans, and peeps and little else at Easter.
On to the recipe
You need
Brussel sprouts ( fresh not frozen )
Spicy Sesame Oil
Sesame Seeds

1. Cut the dry bottoms off the brussel sprouts and half them perpendicular to the bottom you want about 3 cups of halved brussel sprouts
2. Put them into a room temp cast iron skillet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons spicy sesame oil. ( I buy mine at the local asian market.)
3. Toss around in the skillet so that the brussel sprouts get totally coated
4. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sesame seeds toss again and arrange sprouts so most are flat side down

5. Put on hot grill and grill tossing once or twice until browned about 10-15 minutes depending on heat of grill and size of sprouts.I have also done these in the oven at 400 during the winter but I like them grilled better.
6. Toss in a bowl. Makes a great side dish ( this is Sailing Savor Single I'm single I will admit I have had this as a meal before so go ahead and have it as a dish for one too)


No comments:

Post a Comment