Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Onion Rings inspired by David Lebovitz

Do you read David Lebovitz's blog? I do and normally it makes me want to eat my way across Europe. A few weeks ago however he posted about onion rings he made that were inspired by a Hooters cookbook. Now I have never been to Hooters and really have no desire to do so but he got me craving onion rings. So tonight I finally made Onion rings
The Batter
Mix together
1 cup flour
1 cup Dogfish 60 min IPA ( add 2 more oz if you like thinner coating)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon powdered chilli pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Let this all sit covered while you drink the remaining 4 oz of the Dogfish head 60 min IPA and watch one back episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown. Open a second bottle of Dogfish 60 min to drink and wonder why in the world Alton Brown is no longer making Good Eats as it was the best cooking geek show. Now that this is done
Get the largest onion out of your onion drawer and slice it up. Look at the number of onion rings that will make and decide to only slice one onion as really who should eat that many onion rings.

Start heating up about 2 inches of peanut oil in your cast iron le creuset dutch oven.

The flour dredge
David Lebovitz says to just toss the onion ring slices in flour but I like my flavor layers so I did
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon chilli powder
1 pinch salt
All mixed together
and I dredged the onion slices through this and then into the batter and then into the oil. After the first two I decided that I like my onion rings with a thinner coating and added 2 oz more of beer from the bottle I was drinking. (This is the benefit for living alone and cooking for yourself you can pour directly from a half drunk bottle of beer into a recipe)
Cook the onion rings until pretty golden in the hot oil and then put on top of a draining rack or paper towels for the grease to drip away. Salt
Continue frying in batches of 3 or 4 until you have a heaping serving.
Eat while drinking the last of that second bottle of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment